BEHIND THE SCENES (Ira Mandor)

Everyone remembers me for driving the Red Truck all around Camp (and everywhere else); here are some of my activities that Campers may not know about:

- I bought gas for the Truck right across from the Mo. The gas station was owned by Red Fuller's brother-in-law.
- I set up most of the Campfires and the July 4th fireworks.
- I brought Bimmies to Camp (and to the bus station when they got fired). They came from an Agency in Monticello called "Dependable" (and were anything but)
- I brought Campers to the Doctor, the Dentist and the Hospital. There were broken bones, concussions, knocked-out teeth and stitches. Parents were contacted after we knew the Camper's "status". I made many trips to the Hospital in the middle of the night on "less than ideal" roads.
- I did the Camp's banking.
- I was involved in breaking out Colorwar and knew many weeks ahead when it would break out.

How did I end up at Camp ? My father and Mendy's wife (Pauline) grew up in the same apartment building in the Bronx. So, we knew each other's families. I was a Camper for many years, a Waiter, and Head Waiter for 2 years.

No comments: